Sunday, March 14, 2010

Turn It Up


Steve and I have successfully finished week two of our challenge. I have to give Steve props too, because he has accomplished this even though he got pink eye this week. I don't know if I could have done the same. It is really neat to see his determination.
I actually worked out five times this week. Sorry again Steve. On Saturday, I got up early and went for a 5.7 mile run and averaged 9 minutes 38 seconds per mile. This is a personal record for me. Here in the past couple of months on shorter runs, I have been averaging right around 10 minutes per mile and 10.5 or 11 minutes per mile on long runs. So, it was pretty cool to do a semi-long run at this pace.
I attribute this to a couple of things. One reason is that I did not have to stand at the intersections at all since it was so early in the morning. Also, I have started listening to music when I run. Steve got me a Sony Walkman for my 27th birthday. It is really just like an Ipod, but I actually think it is better. I can listen to the radio or my personal music on this. Also, I have the option to use headphones or listen to it from speakers on the device itself.
This whole "music" thing is really new to me. Previously when I told people I did not listen to anything when I would run, they usually would gasp and say "how boring." It really wasn't boring...I went a whole year without it and part of me did not want to listen to anything. It was nice to run, clear my mind and not think about anything. But now I guess I am evolving as an amateur leisure runner, and I am really enjoying having some tunes to run to.

No comments:

Post a Comment