Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Top 10 for Our 10th

Steve and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on June the 11th.

Engagement photo outside of ACU taken by my friend Dominique


For our anniversary we will be going back to our honeymoon location of Estes Park Colorado, and will stay in the exact cabin, Annie's Mountain Retreat, we did ten years ago.

I saw a post from one of my friends where she talked about a tradition her and her husband have on their anniversary. Every year they say their top five favorite memories from their last year of marriage. What a great idea!

Well, I'm a little behind on that so I'm going to list my top 10 from our 10 years of marital bliss. These are in no particular order. :)

1. Getting caught in the worst storm of our lives while driving to our honeymoon location. We seriously thought that we might die on our first DAY of marriage. The lighting looked like disco lights, our car was swaying back and forth as it got pounded by the rain. I have no idea how long we were stranded on the side of the highway. We laid our seats back, held hands and prayed silently to survive the storm. It was so loud we couldn't even hear each other speak.

2. Training for and running a half marathon together. Even though Steve could have finished much faster than me, he stayed by my side the whole time.



3.. Camping for our first anniversary trip...and wanting to kill each other during it. NOW we can laugh about it, but then we didn't do much laughing. :) Camping in June in west Texas is NOT a good idea. We spent most of our time in the lake. One day we rented a canoe and journeyed all over Possum Kingdom Lake, and I kid you not there were vultures everywhere. I think they knew something that we did not.



4. Game nights with friends Mark and Amber, camping with Matt and Amie and fun trips to the lake with our friends Meagan and Micheal.



 

 
 




5. Galveston Beach vacation with the family and Dad and Sister.



6. The birth of Evan. Soooo many things come to mind about this. There is nothing like your first baby.


7. Finding out that baby number 2 was a BOY!




8. Two New Year's Eve celebrations come to mind. One when I was pregnant with Evan and the other was this year's New Year's Eve. We didn't do anything crazy for these we just stayed home and watched the ball drop. I just remember laughing with and feeling very thankful to have Steve by my side.

9. Our trip to Florida for Josh's wedding (Steve's high school friend). Saint Petersburg is beautiful, and their wedding was gorgeous. We stayed in the Don CeSar. It is probably the nicest hotel we will ever stay in thanks to the bride and grooms families paying for it.
 
  
 
There was an open bar at the wedding. I had quite a few cherry vodka sours.
 


10. OSU football games and the roller coaster ride of emotions that came with them. It was fun experiencing that with Steve.
 


 
 
Funny thing is that on a lot of these events I distinctly remember thinking "Do I have time to do this? I've got to study." Or whatever my reason for being stressed was at the moment, but these are exactly the events I look back on and cherish. None of these moments have anything to do with work, my school grades, how clean my house was, etc. I'm not saying that those are bad or weren't a good concern of mine, but life can't be ALL work and no play. You've got to play!!
 
Another lesson I learned from looking back is that we owe a community of people for making it these 10 years. Family and friends have played a big role in supporting us in our marriage. Cherish your spouse, treat them well but don't forget about your family and friends around you. Tap into the rich resource that they are to your marriage.
 
 
Here's to the next 10!


No comments:

Post a Comment