Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Want Vs. Need at 22 weeks


I am a high school science teacher, my husband is currently a student finishing a professional degree in landscape architecture, and we are welcoming a sweet baby boy into our lives this November.

Needless to say, we can't afford to go crazy on baby gear that isn't absolutely necessary. But honestly, regardless of your income, who wants to waste their money in this economy? I'm thinking, no one.


In my attempt not to go overboard on baby gear, I have been doing research on what is a definite "Must Have," and what would just be "Nice to Have...But Not Necessary." 

I have perused multiple lists on baby gear necessities, and have determined that what makes a piece crucial depends on the parent's lifestyle and what baby likes/dislikes.


There are soooo many baby items out there that scream "You need me!" or "Your baby would be much happier if you paid a bundle for me...Promise!" So I am going to make my lists, check them twice and desperately try to stick to them.


Before I share my lists, let me explain a few things. Steve and I will only be in our current location for a few months after Evan is born, so we don't plan on purchasing a crib, bedding, or nursery decor initially. That is unless we find a sweet deal. 

Where will baby sleep??? Instead of a crib, we plan on using the bassinet in our play yard and/or a Moses basket for use in our own bedroom. I am hoping that co-sleeping the first few months will help me get more sleep...I can hear all the moms out there laughing at me. "Sleep? What's sleep?" :)

Also, my "Must Haves" list is just for when Ev is a newborn. Obviously, we won't need a highchair for an infant. So, I am not including items like those in that list. I am taking baby steps...my mind can only wrap around one stage at a time.


With that said, here are my lists. I look forward to seeing how they change after Ev comes, and laughing at myself as I run to the closest store for an item I didn't think I would need or hadn't dawned on me at all.  

"Must Haves"

*Infant Car Seat/Carrier plus extra infant car seat base for our second car
*All-Terrain Stroller with locking front wheel that can be used for walking/jogging/and everything else... (Check)
*Play yard with bassinet and changing table...(Check. Thanks Dad!)
*3-5 sets of sheets for the play yard
*Pump with bottles, milk storage containers, bottle brush
*Boppy pillow with extra boppy covers and a waterproof protector (check to the pillow)
*Nursing cover
*Sling
*Swaddling blankets and/or miracle blankets
*Carrier bunting bag or blanket to cover the carrier in the colder months
*Diaper bag
*Munchkin diaper pail (Steve says that this is a definite MUST! lol)
*Cloth diapers to use as burp/clean up rags (I've heard that these are amazing and much larger than regular burp rags)
*Swinging security gate...this is because of our sweet, curious, toy and blanket stealing doggies. :)
*Swing or bouncer seat
*Digital infant thermometer (check)
*Infant grooming kit (check)
*Infant medicines
*Teething rings...I know those teeth will pop in when I least expect it.
*Pacifiers (Will probably use after breastfeeding is established)
*Newborn clothes including: 10 onesies, 7 pairs of socks, 7 items for sleepwear, 7 winter appropriate outfits, 1 jacket, 2 glove/shoe/hat sets.


"Nice to Have...But Not Necessary"


There are a bazillion items I could have in this category, but I will spare my fingers and your tired computer eyes and just put the items I have recently been debating about.


*Moses basket
*Crib, crib bedding and nursery decor (I plan on getting this when we move and Evan is ready to be in his own room.) Here is a picture of my design inspiration for what I eventually want to do in Evan's room. I plan on gray walls, white trim, dark blue, pale yellow, brown, and other varying shades of blue. (Text colors aren't exact, but you get the idea.) Can't wait until we actually have a room we can decorate.
*Highchair
*Baby bath tub or support (check. Thanks Dom!)
*Bottle warmer
*Bottle and accessory sterilizer (the stand alone kind and the microwave version)
*Extra light weight umbrella stroller
*Baby monitor (I plan on getting this when Evan sleeps in a different room from ours.)
*Baby carrier/baby backpack (Will purchase when Ev can easily support his head)
*Glider chair or rocker
*Changing table (check. Thanks Trisha!)
*Sound machine (check. Thanks Marylin!)

Ahhhh! Just making my lists has lifted weight off of my shoulders. I feel closer to welcoming baby Ev already.

Feel free to tell me if I am missing something, or what your "Must Have" items were. :)

1 comment:

  1. I publish almost all my posts of facebook, and I occasionally get more resposes on facebook then on the blog itself. I want to remember the reponses I receive. So, I am going to start posting any on my blog itself, but I will remove their last names for privacy. Below are what some women said.

    Barbara- must have a bumbo (or bumbo type seat) , as soon as B could sit up thats how he wanted to be...
    you say swing or bouncy seat, they have those convertable ones- we have a beautiful swing, but B's torso was so long that he could only swing in it for like the first month... I was really sad, if we had known he was going to be so long I would have asked for a convertable one, cause the bouncey seat saved us.

    Oh and B hated teething rings, don't buy to many cause even may not like them, and stock up on all types of passi's B only liked one kind.
    And a diaper bag Steve won't mind carrying- if he is anything like Will... When I was looking at them he was like 'you can have whatever you want babe, but I will not be holding it, ever' so we got a diaper dude- lol

    Sharyle- Teething rings-none of my kids would have anything to do with them. They preferred a cold wet wash cloth

    Cover for car seat- unless you just want this, a blanket works just as good

    Blankets- didn't see any on your list, but you'll need the thin receiving blankets and a few thicker ones.

    Clothes-be cautious on sizes. They grow soooooo fast. A newborn outfit may only be a month outfit at best and in all my kids cases they never wore newborn, too small.

    Sharyle- Oh and the baby bathtub is really a must. When they are wet they become slippery little things.

    Laura- You have this on your list, but I think there's no substitute for the miracle blanket! There's no other swaddler like it and I truly believe it's a huge contibutor to whynour kids sleep so well. If you watch Babies R Us, they put them on sale for buy one get one 50% off, so that makes them much more reasonable.

    Linda- What great advice! Thanks so much guys!

    Courtney- Brayden didn't like teething rings either; however, he loved this vibrating grape you can get at Wal-Mart. I think you can get a grape or a stawberry. He used that, frozen green beans - once he was older (I know.) and his burp cloths. He still teethes on a burp cloth. Also, at around 3 months he was able to use an exersaucer and LOVED it. Adorable Affordables should be in town again at the Expo Center in September so this would be a great place to get just about anything you would need at a lower price. I also suggest getting a few premie outfits. Brayden was was too small for newborn and wore premie clothes for a month or more, and he was 7 lbs and 21 inches long. Hope this helps!

    Jennifer- I say you let people spoil this new baby!! And I am thinking you will need a little more clothes than what you have on your list. I know this because i think back when kyle was born and everytime we had to change his diaper we also had to change his clothes. Babies make messes fast.

    ReplyDelete