Saturday, April 3, 2010

Life Lessons of an Amateur Runner: Who's Your Paul Who's Your Timothy?

At our church you will often hear someone ask "Who's your Paul, who's your Timothy?" JB, our pastor talks about this often. We all need a "Paul" in our lives, and we all should have a "Timothy." Let me explain.

In short, the Apostle Paul was a major advocate of salvation by Grace through Jesus Christ and that one is not saved by keeping the law of man. He met young Timothy on his journeys and saw the potential in him to be a advocate for Jesus as well. Paul mentored Timothy encouraging him through letters and giving him advice on how to lead the church at Ephesus. Timothy takes this advice and in turn goes on to be a leader among the people of Ephesus. You can read all about this in 1 and 2 Timothy.

I consider my good friend Dominique to be my "Paul" when it comes to consistency with running. I am thankful to have her influence in my life for not just working out, but in so many other areas as well. She is the person that comes to mind when I need encouragement or motivation to keep going with my healthy habits. I actually have multiple "Pauls" in my life. I have people that I look up to for the kind of wife I want to be, mother, teacher, sister etc. As well as multiple people who encourage me in my faith. If you don't have some "Pauls" in your life, look at who you surround yourself with. Maybe you need to pick new friends.

Now here is the scary part...whether you want a "Timothy" or not, you still have one or two and you may not even realize it. Yep. That's right. Believe it or not, people are looking at you and the way you live your life influences them for the positive or the negative. I have encouraged a few people to start working out and it is pretty neat to see them grow. But what is even better is when I hear that those people I have encouraged go on to encourage others as well. It is a ripple effect that goes on and on. I hope that it is the same for other areas of my life...most importantly my faith. I remember a woman in the church that I grew up in who mentored me. I guess I was her Timothy, and I am so thankful that she took an interest in me. I still think about some of the things she taught me to this very day.

So who is your Paul, who is your Timothy?

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! Thanks for the name drop. You are my Paul too. Love you girl and miss you and Steve very much. This weekend, Trey said, "I wish Steve and Linda move to Ft. Worth, when Steve's done with school."

    ReplyDelete