Thursday, October 29, 2009

Good Reads

I have been trying to make a conscious effort to do some reading for pleasure in addition to my reading for school. An old friend of mine introduced me to the author Jodi Picoult, and ever since I've been hooked. I have read almost all of her books, and currently I am reading her novel entitled Nineteen Minutes. Picoult writes about controversial issues and the complexities of human relationships particularly within the family regarding these issues. What I love about her writing style is how she tells a story from all prospectives with the intent, I believe, of not wanting you to pick a side. Although I usually do end up leaning toward a particular character, I really enjoy her fairness with human emotions.

When I am done with this novel, I plan on trying out a new author...to be honest I am a little apprehensive, and I am not sure why. Guess I'm worried I will pick the wrong book and not realize it until I am half way through the story.

This is typically how I select a new book to read. I find a title that intrigues me, and then read the first few lines of the book. If this makes me curious about the rest of the story, I figure it is a keeper. If possible, I try not to read the back cover. For some reason they all sound cheesy to me.

Here is a link to Picoult's website if you are interested in checking her out.
http://www.jodipicoult.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment