Monday, August 3, 2009

What's Cookin'

Steve and I were invited Saturday night for dinner at our friends Matt and Amie's house. Dinner was so good that I asked for the recipe. Two days later, Steve and I were still craving their yummy food...so we cooked it again for dinner tonight. Here is what we ate.

Oven-Baked Chicken (off of Bisquick box)
1 tbsp butter
2/3 c. bisquik
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 t0 3 1/2 lb. broiler-fryer chicken
Matt adds Chili powder and Old Bay seasoning to taste

Melt butter in 13X9 baking dish. Stir together bisquick, paprika, salt, and pepper. (Next time I will not add as much salt). Coat chicken. Place skin side down in dish. Bake 35 min at 425 degrees. Turn over and bake an additional 15 min.

Southern Biscuits (Alton Brown from the Food Network)
2 c. flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp shortening
1 c. buttermilk, chilled

In bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using fingers, cut in butter and shortening into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles small crumbs. Pour in buttermilk and combine.
Fold dough on floured surface 5 to 6 times. Press into a 1 inch thick round. Cut into 2 inch biscuits. Place on cookie sheet with edges just touching. Bake at 450 degrees until light gold, 15 to 20 minutes. Top with butter and honey.

In the words of Rachel Ray, "Yummo."

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! and anything with spinach, count me in. BTW, I'm glad the new shoes are working for you. I know Steve was really hoping they would. I also like the photo of us!

    ReplyDelete