Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Mom

I have been meaning to do this for some time, but every time I do I stop because I feel like my words are not good enough.

My mom passed away a year and a half ago from ovarian cancer. I thought that as more time passed it would get easier, but I have come to understand that it doesn't. Someone once told me, "You never get over it, you just get use to it." I agree.

There are days when I am so busy that she doesn't cross my mind. Then there are days when the smallest things bring her to mind, and I have to push back my emotions. I miss her so much. It is weird, but with every passing holiday instead of getting easier it just becomes more real. Instead of coming back to my hometown and seeing her standing at the door with a sweet smile on her face, I come home to only pictures of her on the wall, a marker on the ground and the memories that I hold.

My mother was a believer, so I know that she is in heaven, and I will see her again. That gives me hope. But I feel sometimes as a Christian, we are expected to just "get over" the loss of a loved one because of this hope. Even though I believe this, it doesn't make the fact that I miss talking to her, laughing with her, and eating her great cooking any less painful.

I would like to reflect on what I have learned from my mom.

1. Make your family number one in your life.
2. The Lord should be your best friend.
3. True beauty comes from within.
4. Always be willing to forgive.
5. Listen before you speak.
6. Know your child's schedule.
7. Make time for lunch with a friend.
8. You should care what others think of you, but never to the extent of changing your values.
9. A harsh word stirs up anger, but a gentle answer turns away wrath. Proverbs 15:1
10. Sunday afternoon naps are the best.
11. When playing "Farkle" (a dice game), it is best to be conservative.
12. If you're missing an ingredient, substitute it with something else...no worries.
13. Be satisfied with the little things in life.
14. Sappy music is good for the soul.
15. Dogs make great TV watching buddies.
16. Casserole dishes are the best to make for a family meal.
17. Make a list and a budget when you go to the grocery store.
18. Use coupons when possible.
19. A burger and fries can hit the spot anytime.
20. When you get up to get a drink, ask your spouse if they want one too.
21. You don't have to wear make-up everyday.
22. Listen to your body.

More to come at another time.

2 comments: