Thursday, July 16, 2009

Half Marathon Journey

I had been staying on track with my training for the half marathon pretty well up until the end of June. It all began when my allergies bothered me so badly that I was out of commission for a few days. My allergies haven't bothered me this bad since I was in high school. All I wanted to do was sleep and my red nose would have put Rudolf to shame.
After that, our marathon of trips began. Needless to say, I was too busy socializing that logging my miles was put on the back burner. I was lucky to run about twice a week at about three miles a pop.
Now that our trips are pretty much over for the summer, it has been hard not to beat myself up for getting off track. It is amazing how taking a couple weeks off can make you feel like you've taken ten steps back from the progress you have made.
The cherry on top of this whole situation has been the heat advisory that we have been under. Since I don't have a gym membership or a treadmill, the road has been my only option. I have been reading in Runner's World about the dangers of heat stroke, and finding the right time for me to run with the high temperatures has been tricky.
This past weekend I got up early and planned on doing a long run but I injured my leg. It was bad enough that I knew I needed to stop, and the pain shot up my leg all day as I went window shopping. It wasn't until I slept on it that my leg began to fell better. But just to be safe, I took two days off.
Since then, I have been working on building up my endurance again. I jogged 2 miles and power walked 1.5 on Tuesday, Wednesday I jogged 5 miles walking when I needed to, tonight I did 5 again and was able to run without walking as much. I attribute this to cooler temps due to a storm moving in, and luckily my leg did not bother me at all. Tomorrow, I am taking the day off to rest.
Overall, I am proud of myself. Before I know it the summer will be over and school will be in session again. One of my summer goals has been to increase my mileage and I have done that.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on the heat advisory....HOT HOT! Don't forget the H20. Oh and I know what you mean about missing a scheduled run, you really feel like behind. Now that you are running more miles have you noticed a change in your nutrition intake. Are you really, really hungry? or maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you're not the only one with an increase in appetite! As for the water thing, I am lucky because there are water fountains around boomer lake. The waters a little warm but it will do.

    ReplyDelete