Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who's Your Shade

Okay, so I hate to say it but I have to be honest...I have been using 80 degree temperatures as an excuse to not jog as much!!!!! I can be the queen of excuses sometimes. So today with the temps in the 80's again, I decided to go for a short jog of 1.5 miles and to my surprise it was really nice!

I love to go on this one route right by our apartment, because it is like you're all the sudden on a nature trail. It is a quiet residential area with tons of mature foliage. Occasionally it is a little steep, but it helps me get a harder workout in a short amount of time, and today I was all about that.

Well, like I said the heat has been getting to me. As I jogged up the second hill, I could feel the sun bearing down on me, and I started to think, "Geez its hot." I finished the hill, and after turning the corner I was provided with a long strip of shade from multiple large trees. The difference in temperature seemed amazing to me even in 80 degree weather. I felt the cool breeze, and was thankful that I decided to go outside and face the heat.

This got me thinking..."Who is my shade?" There are numerous people in my life that make my day-to-day journey that much easier. Thoughts about my husband, my family, close friends, and ...Rusty came to mind. I thanked God for the the literal and figurative shade that He has provided me in my life.

This also made me think about Barnabas and the people who have encouraged me in my Christian walk.

Acts 11:20-26
20But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who came to Antioch and began speaking to the Greeks also, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a large number who believed turned to the Lord. 22The news about them reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas off to Antioch. 23Then when he arrived and witnessed the grace of God, he rejoiced and began to encourage them all with resolute heart to remain true to the Lord; 24for he was a good man, and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith And considerable numbers were brought to the Lord. 25And he left for M)">Tarsus to look for Saul; 26and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

So, tell me. Who's your shade? Say a prayer of thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Barnabas is the Patron Saint of our Parish. Last Sunday, June 14th, was St. Barnabas day. I like the concept of: "Who's Your Shade." It's a very nice methaphor.

    ReplyDelete