Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lets Talk Profit

1 Timothy 4:8 "For bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

So Steve bought me an awesome watch with a heart monitor to use when I workout. I am loving it, and talk about perfect timing since I am wanting to time my runs again.


To date, I've timed one of each of my 3, 4 and 6 mile runs and basically on all of these I averaged right around...drum roll please...11 minutes per mile. :D This is including potty stops for Pistol, stops at busy intersections, occasional breathers for me and running on the grass most of the way. I know some people subtract these from their overall time, but I prefer to include them.

I periodically stopped to check my heart rate and to my surprise I was almost always between 94-97% of my maximum heart rate. So yes, I am slow. But its no stroll for me. I am working it.

Speaking of time, here recently I've been convicted on how much time I spend working out and how little is spent digging in the word. For instance,I have had scripture verses I've planned on memorizing for literally YEARS. One verse particularly kept popping in my head tormenting me when I thought of my lack of spiritual disciple which says something like "physical training is of little gain, but spiritual training is of great gain" TLV (The Linda Version). But of course, I wasn't sure where it was found...so I had to look it up.


1 Timothy 4:8 and says to be exact "For bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." Wow. How true is that. So for about the past month, I've been memorizing scripture as I run. Talk about doubling your profit.

A friend of mine asked how I do this. So here is my system. I write the verse on a note card, go over it a few times before starting, and then I practice saying it from memory as I go. If I forget the wording or where it is found, I've got my note card right there to remind me.


As you can see the cards get pretty worn, but it works for me. Here are the verses I've memorized so far.

1. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

2. Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

3. Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God; not as a result of works, least any man may boast."

4. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 "For I have delivered to you as of first importance that which I have also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He was buried and that he was raised on the third day according to the scriptures."

5. 1 John 5:11-13 "The testimony is this. God has given us life and this life is in his son. He who has the son has the life. He who does not have the son does not have the life. These things have been written to those who believe in the name of the son of God so that you my know that you have eternal life."

6. John 20:30-31 "Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of his disciples which are not written in this book, but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."

7. Romans 11:6 "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace."

8. Psalm 119:11 "Your word I have hidden in my heart that I may not sin against you."

9. Romans 12:1-2 "Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then and only then will you be able to test and approve what God's will is. His good and pleasing will."

10. Proverbs 15:1 "A harsh word stirs up anger, but a gentle answer turns away wrath."


I wanted to at least have 13 memorized for the half, but it looks like I'll have way more than that.

1 comment:

  1. That watch is all fancy. You'll have to show me how it works when I see you in a few weeks.

    Trey has entertained the idea about getting one. It sounds like you are getting lots of use out of it too.

    -dom

    ReplyDelete