Sunday, August 21, 2011

25 Weeks: What Pets Teach Us About Being Parents

I am 25 weeks prego! Woot! Woot! New developments this week are acid reflux (yuck) and being able to feel movement above my belly button (yay).  

Most of the movements I have been feeling have been really low, but one evening I felt three kicks higher then I ever have before. About an inch above my belly button. 

I also received a bottle of bio-oil in the mail for a comment I left on a blog on the topic of women's feelings toward stretch marks. I said "I don't know any women that would say "Yes, I would love stretch marks all over my body." But I also don't know any women who would say they weren't worth it. You get to welcome another life into this world. I am going to do what I can to prevent them, and just let the cookies crumble as they may." I don't have any pregnancy induced stretch marks yet. Hopefully, it stays that way. But luckily this bottle of liquid gold came right as I finished a bottle of tummy lotion. Talk about timing! :)

Saturday night Steve and I went to the movies. I love our evenings together, even if it is just a dinner of spaghetti and a rental. I married a great man.

Here recently I have been thinking about how our dogs have helped to prepare us to be parents. I have told them many times "Thanks for letting us practice on you guys." 

Here is a pic of our two dogs, Pistol named after "Pistol Pete" OSU's mascot (left) and Rusty aka Rooster (right).


I will leave you with the top 10 things that they have taught Steve and I about being parents...most of these we are still in the process of learning. :)

1. No matter what the world is like outside your home love, love, love on them. Tail waging is good for your soul and a few wet, doggie kisses will always make your day better.
2. Get up to take them outside even when you don't feel like it. Routine is important for them.
3. Don't lose your cool when your dog seems to have lost their mind.
4. Building a relationship with a dog takes time, effort and a lot of outside support. 
5. Each dog is allowed to have their own personality, and because of this you have to think outside of the box when it comes to building a home for them. 
6. Admit when you are wrong, even though you think they don't understand.
7. Every mommy and daddy needs their own personal time away from doggie land.
8. Reciprocate their unconditional love.
9. Every dog deserves a treat now and then.
10. Know when to be their master and when to be their friend. 

I would love to know what your pets have taught you about being a parent, friend or just a better human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment