Friday, August 3, 2012

Pregnant Women Need Jobs Too


"Should I reveal my pregnancy in my job interview?" This was the question that I kept mulling over while applying for jobs in our new city. I asked Steve and a few close friends what they thought. A unanimous "no" was the reply.

Well, I finally got the call for a position I was really hoping for! After careful thought, I made the decision to not disclose my pregnancy for the following reasons. 1. It is against the law to even inquire about my family plans anyway. 2. I wanted to know that I got this job/didn't get this job based solely on my qualifications. 3. I don't plan on working until I pop and never returning. I will be returning after 6-7 weeks maternity leave.

Long story short, I got the job! After accepting the position over the phone, I screamed while jumping up and down scaring the daylights out of Ev. Sorry little man. But I have to admit, I had a small pang of guilt. Actually no. It wasn't guilt that I felt. I know that I am a hard worker pregnant or not. I always do my best. They hired a good person for the job if I do say so myself. No, it was fear. Fear of what my coworkers and supervisors might think when I come strolling in with a baby bump. Regardless of how I feel about it, what will they think? I don't want them to regret their decision.

It stinks that as a woman we are even put in this position. Would a man feel like he should reveal that his wife was pregnant? Would a man worry that if he did so he might not get the job. Well, it is what is it.

I decided to make a poll on babycenter.com just to humor myself and add some backbone to the decision I had made. I asked, "Should I have revealed my pregnancy in my job interview?"

Of the 198 total votes, 167 said no and 31 said yes. Most of the people that commented encouraged me by saying I did the right thing, but I did have a couple go a little overboard on how horrible of a person I must be. 

All I have to say to that is...pregnant women need jobs too. End of story.

Happy weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment